Friday, February 20, 2009

Roasted Chicken

I love roasted chicken. It's easy, it's delicious, and I can get at least three meals from a single 4lb chicken: dinner, lunch, and soup for another meal or two. It's one of the greatest "economi" dish!

I always roast my own chicken, because I can't imagine not having gravy with my chicken. It's the best part! Besides, once you slather the chicken with a mixture of garlic, salt, olive oil and some pepper, all you do is wait (or do other things) while it cooks in the oven. It's easy peasy.

As with any meat, the key is to put enough salt on the chicken. For me, this works out to be about 1/2 teaspoon per pound. I also use about a clove of garlic per pound of chicken. I mince the garlic, add salt, then add olive oil to make a runny paste. After adding pepper and/or other herbs, I cover the inside and outside of the chicken with the mixture. I cook the chicken for about 20 minutes per pound at 350ºF. I guess it would be hard to do if you don't get home until 6 or 6:30, but a freshly roasted chicken is really a comfort dish for me. With gravy, of course.

I've heard a lot of people say making gravy is hard, but not the way I make it. After you put the chicken onto a service plate, I pour the excess grease into a cup (good for matzo balls later.) I put 1/2 to one cup of liquid (water or combination of water and wine) in the roasting pan (I use Calphalon's Everyday Pan for roasts to make this step easier) and let the liquid sit to soak the drippings for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of dinner or clear the table. After the drippings have softened a bit, I add one to 1-1/2 tablespoon of flour directly to the pan and dissolve the flour in the tepid mixture. After the flour is mixed up, I start heating the gravy mixture while scraping the bottom of the pan with a metal spatula to loosen all the drippings. When it starts bubbling and the gravy mixture thickens, I'm done! Taste and add salt and other seasonings as needed. If the gravy is too thin, I add some mixture of flour and water until the desired thickness is reached. That's it! If at anytime during this process I notice large chunks of flour, I use a whisk on the gravy. This trick breaks up most flour chunks.

Side dishes can be as simple or as complex as you want to make them. I like to have something to eat with the gravy, and the easiest thing for me is rice. The rice cooker cooks it for me. For vegetables, I sometimes roast yams and sweet potatoes in the oven with the chicken (cut them up to about 1-inch chunks then coat them with olive oil on the cookie sheet then stick in oven), or quickly steam green beans. This is my kids favorite dinner! And you can also have great chicken sandwiches for lunch the next day...

No comments:

Post a Comment